A broad horizon of experience has resulted from the following career around the construction industry, especially the interior fit-out and refurbishment sector in schools, offices, domestic properties and hospitals and latterly, products for the retail environment. Learning lessons in every role from Dispatch to Development, from Surveying to Sales, and settings from Warehouse to Washroom, the spectrum of skills enables a very agile approach to business issues.
Connect on LinkedIn
Aug 1997 – Apr 1998
My first employment, this reactive role gave me my first taste of business organisational structure, how the various functions interacted and basic subcontractor awareness.
– Receiving and organising incoming deliveries
– Assembly of furniture items
– Operated forklifts safely
– Loaded fragile products onto vehicles for delivery
– Collating products from suppliers for delivery
– Packaging and dispatch
– Delivery and On-site assembly of furniture
Apr 1998 – 2001
Starting in the family business, I took various roles working up from Operative on site, and eventually being involved with almost every aspect of the business. I had aspirations to progress the company, and invested effort into develop potential new avenues and areas of speciality.
– On site installation of plumbing related services
– Installation of building products as part of renovation projects
– Maintained and repaired tools, equipment and machines
– Specialist air conditioning and climate control system installation
Sales & Operations Manager
2001 – Oct 2006
– Sales of plumbing contracts and washroom refurbishments
– Project Management for plumbing and refurbishment contracts
– Recorded type and cost of maintenance and repair work
– Instructed team members on maintenance policies and procedures
Oct 2006 – 2010
Moving on from the family business was a tough decision to make, but the opportunity to build on my experience in plumbing and related construction projects with Focus Washrooms offered me a new chance to progress my career.
This employment covered many areas of responsibility within different disciplines, as I rose to each new challenge in Sales, Contracts, Marketing and Development.
– Identified prospective customers by using business directories and following leads from existing clients.
– Prospected and conducted face-to-face sales calls with business executives and directors throughout assigned territory.
– Selected the correct products based on customer needs, product specifications and applicable regulations.
– Specified products and services for installation.
– Estimated and quoted for proposed services and installations.
– Wrote sales contracts for orders obtained and submitted orders for processing.
– Negotiated prices, terms and service agreements with suppliers.
– Attended monthly sales meetings and quarterly sales training.
– Met existing customers to review current services and expand sales opportunities
– Entered accurate and detailed records in the customer database.
Health & Safety Manager
2007 – 2015
I was selected to liaise with the external H&S consultants and manage in-house H&S alongside my other responsibilities, which involved introducing new policies and supporting documentation
– Keeping the company and colleagues safe at work
– Responsible for accreditations and meeting regulations
– Keeping up to date with legislation
– Working with external H&S consultants to establish and maintain protocols
– Maintaining Health and Safety records
– Carrying out weekly testing of Fire Alarms
– Carrying out equipment checks
– Initiating weekly vehicle checks
2008 – 2010
For a while, each member of the Sales team was responsible to manage his own contracts for greater accountability. This meant managing time and resources to maintain customer contact whilst liaising with subcontractors and suppliers
– Liaised with customers and subcontractors to schedule works into specific and rigid timeframes (typically school holidays)
– Managed a range of subcontractors on multiple sites
– Listed products into schedules for fabrication
– Co-ordinated customer requests and contract variations during projects
– Placed orders for goods and materials and arranged deliveries to sites
– Managed snagging lists and underperforming subcontractors
Installation contract I managed at Henrietta Barnet School
An early washroom refurb client: Marlborough Science Academy
2010 – 2016
From the first request to assist with a new brochure design, Marketing has been a core focus for me, and still colours the way I approach product development and customer interaction.
– Targeted a variety of market sectors by designing a multi-pronged marketing strategy.
– Undertook courses on both Marketing and Brand Strategy.
– Carried out market research to establish the size of particular markets, and our market share.
– Created effective brand messaging using written, graphic and digital marketing collateral.
– Compared agency and vendor marketing expenses against established budgets.
– Analysed the market to understand our position.
– Collaborated with designers and the editorial team on marketing materials.
– Co-authored web content including blog posts and informational articles.
– Worked closely with clients to identify their needs and challenges and provide solutions-orientated campaign themes.
– Managed and collaborated with external marketing professionals on brochure layout and design, web design and brand strategy.
– Entered and assigned new leads using CRM tools.
– Managed project deadlines and monitored milestones through to completion stage.
– Organised exhibition events promotional material, product display and execution.
– Designed and organised exhibition stand build and dismantle.
– Followed up on exhibitions and events with clients and Sales to maximise ROI.
– Proofed and approved production and printing drafts of promotional materials.
– Drafted product specifications to NBS standards.
The first cubicle system for which I produced marketing material
Publicity interview featuring the Trovex Hygipod product (link no longer available)
2013 – Mar 2018
– Working directly with the CEO to develop new product lines and improve existing ones
– Hygipod conceptual design and product development
– Prototyping and test-build using Autodesk Inventor 3D CAD, CNC machining and 3D print
– Liaison with overseas partner enterprises to initiate product exports
– Product family expansion in line with customer requirements and market demand
– Liaison with Patent Attorney and initial drafting of patents in UK, Europe and Canada
– Production facility development including machinery layout and process design
– Current State analysis and Future State mapping
– Lean Process implementation including Kanban, Kaizen, 5-S and one-piece flow
– Hygidoor product design and development
– Factory process layout planning and implementation
– Preparation and implementation of Fire Resistance testing for doorsets both 30 & 60 min
– Development of 3D BIM objects in Autodesk Revit
– Analysed software options and assisted with purchase, installation and training
– Worked as team leader to customise software and implement its use.
– Assisted Operations team in applying lean principles to the information flow and admin systems
Product Development Manager
2015 – Mar 2018
A varied and rewarding position, this involved creating a new washroom fitout brand with a unique product and service package offering, designed as a spin-off from the Focus Washroom concept, aimed at a new market, in line with Directors vision.
– Working directly with the CEO to create the Stavio branded Washroom products
– Working with external consultants to produce marketing material including website and CGI renders
– Component design and problem solving in collaboration with stakeholders
– Electrical and integrated lighting design and testing
– 3D BIM object build for unique washroom components
– Building layout and washroom design in Autodesk Revit
– Product prototyping and initial full scale build
– Design review and update implementation
Apr 2018 – Present
Hired to take this well-established company to the next level, this creatively-titled role has broadened my experience with its variety of activities and challenges. Introducing and implementing marketing activity ranging from telemarketing and client visits to automated email and website development was combined with learning new processes in polyurethane, fibreglass and many other materials.
…and in the Future?
I aspire to be part of a creative team, working for an innovative enterprise that delights its clients with surprisingly exquisite experiences. If world travel was also in the mix, the dream would be complete!
Please feel free to contact the below for references
|Rhys Hibbert||E: firstname.lastname@example.org||M: 07469 031 590||find Rhys on LinkedIn|
|Shaun Reed||M: 07920 209 185||find Shaun on LinkedIn|
|George Price||E: email@example.com||M: 07392 109 695||find George on LinkedIn|